Tuesday 26 April 2016

The Raven King Review



This review will be spoiler-free.

I'm just going to jump straight in and say that I am so disappointed. The Raven Cycle, as I've stated many times, is one of my favourite series. It's original, it's magical and it allows you to care about every character. There was so much hype surrounding the release of The Raven King and for good reason, as this series has such a huge fan-base.

The first half of this book, for me, was one big ball of confusion. Maggie introduced new characters, which in my opinion is silly for the last book in a series, and because of the lack of development, instantly became forgotten. I finished the book about an hour ago and I've already forgotten the names of them. The book switched between multiple POVs and I mean multiple. Minor characters had a voice and it did not work well, it made the story become confusing and unrelatable. 

I gave this book 3 stars whereas the previous three I have given 5. The only reason it got such a high rating is because of our much-loved characters (The Gangsey.) The romances were written well and Blue remained an amazing constant for me, she still does not takes shit from anyone. Don't get me wrong, there were certain scenes and moments that were written brilliantly and inspired me to continue.

Overall, I feel like Maggie rushed it. Too much was going on for a final book. Too many characters were introduced, too many POVs were floating around and the ending was the most disappointing for me. It was the kind of ending that made you close the book and say aloud, "What the hell did I just witness?" There are too many loose ends and not enough closure for each of my beloved characters.

Now I'm off to curl into a ball and pretend that this all didn't happen.
Have you read it? What were your thoughts?
Let us know in the comments.

- Angharad x

No comments :

Post a Comment