Wednesday 20 April 2016

Becky's Top 5 Favourite Books



In no particular order:

1. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
“No mourners. No funerals. Among them, it passed for 'good luck.'” 

The book is immediately gripping and stays that way through it's entirety - it was one of those books that I just didn't want to put down, and was reading at every possible moment. All of the characters are so instantly likeable, especially Inej, who I adored from the start. A truly badass girl with an interesting back story is something that always makes a book perfect for me. 


2. Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas
“You could rattle the stars. You could do anything, if only you dared. And deep down, you know it, too. That’s what scares you most.” 

Although there's still two books yet to be released in this series, it's definitely one of my favourites - I've not been sucked into a fantasy series in this way for a long time. The characters, plot and scene setting are all absolutely perfect and I fell in love with Celaena straight away. I can't wait to see how the story progresses in the final two books!


3. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
“Have you ever asked yourself, do monsters make war, or does war make monsters?” 

Laini Taylor manages to set the scene so perfectly - in fact, this book is the reason I'm heading to Prague for a week later this year. The descriptions are so beautiful, and no detail is missed out. You really do feel like you're strolling through cobbled streets and walking across the Charles Bridge. I'm still genuinely upset that Poison Kitchen isn't a real cafe in Prague that I can go and eat goulash in, because it certainly feels like a real place to me!





4. The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater 
“In that moment, Blue was a little in love with all of them.
Their magic. Their quest. Their awfulness and strangeness.
Her raven boys.” 


I don't think it was quite what I was expecting, but that definitely isn't a negative comment - it was definitely far better than I thought it would be! I loved the plot, connected with the characters straight away, the mysteries played out perfectly and I didn't anticipate any of the huge plot twists in advance. 


5. Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente
"Koschei, Koschei," she whispered. "What would I have been if I had never seen the birds? I am no one; I am nothing. I am a blank paper on which you and your magic wrote a girl. Just the kind of girl you wanted, all hungry and hurt and needing. A machine for loving you. Nothing in me was not made by you."

What I love about Marya is that she's vulnerable, she's broken; her home and her heart are torn from war and heartbreak and loss and trials, and yet, she's a solid, formidable character. She suffers, and she grows from that suffering. She's beaten down, and she gets back up and fights even though she physically has nothing left. 



What are your favourite books?
Leave a comment below!


No comments :

Post a Comment